Forgive me for the big list, PEAK TV made me do it.
The Best Dramas:
- The Leftovers, undoubtedly the show of the year, and no, it didn’t get better with the second season because it was already great.
- Fargo, last year we had two great anthology shows, Fargo and True Detective. Of the two shows, Fargo was the one able to deliver a second season better than the first one. Fargo exceeded all expectations with its wonderful (slightly extraterrestrial) second season.
- The Americans, I don’t think words can describe how great this underwatched show is, and how it always aims for season cliffhangers.
- Hannibal, the most beautiful and delicious show on TV, a show that was killed too soon.
- Mr. Robot, A new show with wonderfully shot intros and filled with plot twists thanks to our unreliable narrator.
- UnREAL, a show that takes us to behind the scenes of an imaginary reality show.
- Les Revenants (The Returned), the french drama came back after a long hiatus with a lot of stories to tell.
- Mad Men, an end of an era. The finale was one of the most beautiful moments on TV, not to mention the badass rollerskating Peggy.
- The Knick, this gruesome medical drama ended its second season by 🚨 SPOILER ALERT 🚨 killing its main character.
- Halt and Catch Fire, the show was finally able to get out of Mad Men’s shadow by switching its focus to its lead female characters and their gaming startup.
The Best Comedies:
- Master of None, Aziz Ansari’s new show co-starring his parents!
- Broad City, YAS KWEEN!
- Jane the Virgin, the secret is in the Narrator.
- You’re the Worst, last year’s surprise comedy got a bit darker this season as it tackled depression.
- BoJack Horseman, it’s a talking horse, what else do you need?
- Veep, Selina and the gang are still aiming for the sky.
- Review, life, it is literally all we have, but is it any good?
- Catastrophe, you’ll definitely laugh.
- Rick and Morty, Back to the Future on drugs.
- Transparent, the flashbacks to Nazi Germany were beautiful.
And of course, being in the age of PEAK TV and all, I had to pick a big list of honorable mentions.
Rest of the dramas: Scandal, Penny Dreadful, Game of Thrones, Manhattan, The Jinx, Rectify, Show Me a Hero, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, Wolf Hall, and Fortitude.
Rest of the comedies: Man Seeking Woman, Orange Is the New Black, Looking, Inside Amy Schumer, Fresh Off the Boat, Silicon Valley, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Nathan for You, and Louie.