Another year filled with memorable albums and songs.
Kendrick Lamar kicked the ass of hip-hop. Carly Rae Jepsen proved that she wasn’t just a one-time-summerhit-wonder. Torres grew up lyrically and musically in her sophomore release. Sufjan Stevens broke our hearts with his latest masterpiece, Tame Impala proved that they can always surprise us, and Jamie xx finally released a solo album.
The Favorites (in alphabetical order):
- Alabama Shakes – Sound & Color
- Björk – Vulnicura
- CHVRCHES – Every Open Eye
- Carly Rae Jepsen – E•Mo•Tion
- Christine and the Queens – Christine and the Queens
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Empress Of – Me
- Father John Misty – I Love You, Honeybear
- Grimes – Art Angels
- Jamie xx – In Colour
- Joanna Newsom – Divers
- Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
- Kamasi Washington – The Epic
- Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp a Butterfly
- Kurt Vile – b’lieve i’m goin down…
- Lianne La Havas – Blood
- Natalie Prass – Natalie Prass
- Neon Indian – Vega Intl. Night School
- Shamir – Ratchet
- Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
- Tame Impala – Currents
- Torres – Sprinter
- U.S. Girls – Half Free
- Vince Staples – Summertime ’06
- Wolf Alice – My Love Is Cool
The Honorable Mentions:
- Bully – Feels Like
- Miguel – Wildheart
- Sleater-Kinney – No Cities to Love
- Tobias Jesso Jr. – Goon
Songs not available on Spotify:
- Jessica Pratt’s “Back Baby“, you can listen to it here.
- Joanna Newsom’s “Leaving the City“, you can listen to it here.
You can check all my mixtapes and year-end lists on Spotify.